Thursday, June 17, 2021

Paramount Plus to Debut New 'iCarly' Series on June 17, 2021

Wake up the members of my nation! Paramount+ will premiere the streaming platform's iCarly revival series on Thursday, June 17! Miranda Cosgrove, who is reprising her fan-favorite role of Carly Shay for the new series, shared the news on her Instagram page after she discovered the release date hidden in her birthday cake celebrating her 28th birthday. The actor also shared a photo of the cast of the iCarly reboot!

Credit: Lisa Rose/Nickelodeon

Originally announced in December, the 13-episode season picks up nearly 10 years after the original show ended, and finds Carly Shay, the original influencer, and her friends navigating work, love and their family in their twenties. Production on the new iCarly series commenced earlier this year in Los Angeles.

“Being on the iCarly set has always felt like a second home to me and it’s so awesome to be back with my pals Jerry and Nathan,” said Miranda Cosgrove. “We served up spaghetti tacos over 10 years ago, and I can’t wait to show you what we’re cooking up next with Nickelodeon for Paramount+!”

Credit: Lisa Rose/Nickelodeon

The new iCarly series will feature two new cast members: Laci Mosley (Florida Girls) as Harper, Carly’s roommate and best friend; and Jaidyn Triplett (The Affair, See) as Millicent, Freddie’s snarky and social media-savvy stepdaughter. Mosley and Triplett will appear alongside returning original series stars, Miranda Cosgrove (Carly), Jerry Trainor (Spencer) and Nathan Kress (Freddie).

Paramount+ also shared a video from today's big reveal on social media!:


Nickelodeon’s original iCarly series, which ran from 2007-2012, followed a group of best friends as they created a webcast for and about kids their age while grappling with everyday problems and adventures. During its initial run, iCarly became a pop-culture staple and regularly broke viewership records among audiences of all ages. The original iCarly series was created by Dan Schneider.

The new iCarly series is produced by Nickelodeon Studios and Awesomeness (To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, Trinkets, PEN15). The pilot is written by Ali Schouten (Diary of a Future President, Champions, Merry Happy Whatever), who also serves as executive producer, and Jay Kogen (Nickelodeon’s School of Rock, The Simpsons, Frasier). Miranda Cosgrove also serves as executive producer, with Jerry Trainor and Alissa Vradenburg serving as producers. The pilot is directed and executive produced by Phill Lewis (One Day at a Time, The Neighborhood), who famously portrayed Mr. Moseby on Disney Channel’s The Suite Life of Zack & Cody.


Production of the new iCarly series for Nickelodeon Studios and Awesomeness is overseen by Shauna Phelan, Senior Vice President, Live-Action Scripted Content, and Zack Olin, Senior Vice President, Live Action.

Watch a mountain of family entertainment, including many of your Nickelodeon favorites, on Paramount+! Try it FREE today at paramountplus.com!

About Paramount+
Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service from ViacomCBS, combines live sports, breaking news, and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world’s biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the U.S. in addition to the ability to stream ViacomCBS Streaming’s other live channels: CBSN for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis, and ET Live for entertainment coverage. For more information about Paramount+, please visit www.paramountplus.com and follow @ParamountPlus on social platforms.

About Awesomeness
Awesomeness, a subsidiary of ViacomCBS, is a media company focused on serving the global Gen Z audience through its digital publishing, film and television studio divisions. Awesomeness has become the destination for youth culture, cultivating a loyal audience with hit programming on the world’s biggest streaming services including Netflix (smash-hit film series “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before,” Emmy® winner “Trinkets”) and Hulu (Emmy® winner “Zac & Mia”, Emmy® nominee “Pen15”),  along with the company’s immensely popular short-form programs on YouTube (“Brent Rivera’s Dream Vacation,” “Twin My Heart,” “My Dream Quinceañera,” “VS”), that garner hundreds of millions of views. As a leading media brand, Awesomeness’ worldwide distribution footprint spans owned, social and premium SVOD platforms. Founded in 2012, Awesomeness is headquartered in Los Angeles, with additional offices in New York.

About Nickelodeon
Nickelodeon, now in its 42nd year, is the number-one entertainment brand for kids. It has built a diverse, global business by putting kids first in everything it does. The brand includes television programming and production in the United States and around the world, plus consumer products, digital, location-based experiences, publishing and feature films. For more information or artwork, visit http://www.nickpress.com. Nickelodeon and all related titles, characters and logos are trademarks of ViacomCBS Inc. (Nasdaq: VIACA, VIAC).

# # #

"I watched iCarly growing up and never imagined I’d get a chance to be in the show! We’ve started production and everyone is SO wonderful and kind!! I love doing this work so much already," Laci wrote on her Instagram. "So wake up members of my nation eowwww!"

Teasing the new series in January, Cosgrove shared her hopes for the project. "iCarly was a huge part of my childhood and I have so many memories from my time making the show. I feel like I grew up alongside the viewers," Cosgrove told J-14

"My biggest hope for the revival is that it brings the people who watched the original series a lot of joy," she continued. "The new show is mainly being made with all the original fans in mind. Although we hope families will enjoy it together, this version of the show will be more mature and follow our lives now."

Though a star on the original series, McCurdy, 28, revealed in a February episode of her Empty Inside podcast that she has left her acting days behind her.

"I quit a few years ago because I initially didn't want to do it," she said. "My mom put me in it when I was 6 and by sort of age, I guess, 10 or 11, I was the main financial support for my family. My family didn't have a lot of money, and this was the way out, which I actually think was helpful in driving me to some degree of success."

She continued, "I'm so ashamed of the parts I've done in the past. I resent my career in a lot of ways. I feel so unfulfilled by the roles that I played and felt like it was the most cheesy, embarrassing. I did the shows that I was on from like, 13 to 21, and by 15, I was already embarrassed."

At the Kids' Choice Awards in March, ET spoke with Cosgrove, Kress and Trainor, where they updated fans on what their characters have been up to since the original run ended.

"The three of us got back together and it was kind of like riding a bike. It was like, 'We're back!'" Trainor said, with Cosgrove adding, "It feels kind of crazy. We did the first table read about a week or so ago and it was kind of insane. Like, just getting everybody back together again and it was really fun."

When fans last saw Carly and Freddie, the two shared a goodbye kiss in the series finale. But what's their relationship status in the revival?

"TBD! I don't know," Kress teased. "I have no idea, and even if I did know, I wouldn't tell you. We gotta keep things spicy for the folks at home. Right, Miranda?"

"Yeah, let's keep things spicy," Cosgrove replied, with Trainor adding, "Too juicy to say! I feel like there are a lot of secrets."

"I'll say the scripts are really funny, but I don't think anyone is expecting what we're doing," he continued. "I don't think a revival has been done quite this way."


Originally published: Friday, May 14, 2021.

H/T: Special thanks to What's On Paramount+ and @TVShowsFan for the news!; Additional sources: Fandom, Screen Rant, Seventeen, People, Variety.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon and iCarly News and Highlights!

1 comment:

  1. Only downside: Jennette McCudy aint coming back as Sam

    Legend has it that Nathan Kress is still trying to make up his mind on whether its Cosgrove or McCurdy's character that he loves more.

    ReplyDelete

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.