Saturday, August 19, 2017

James Maslow Reflects on the Four-Year Anniversary of Big Time Rush’s Series Finale

It's hard to believe that it’s been more than four years since the last episode of Big Time Rush aired on Nickelodeon. Although the band comprised of Logan Henderson, James Maslow, Kendall Schmidt and Carlos PenaVega are still the best of friends and hang out all the time, fans do miss seeing them on stage together as a musical unit. While its great that Kendall is killin’ it with Heffron Drive, it's very exciting to hear that another BTR guy is finally releasing new music!


Nicholas Hunt/Getty Images

Clevver got to hang out with James on the roof of the Empire State Building not too long ago and he — get ready to be SUPER jealous — serenaded them with his newest single, “How I Like It.” Not only did he show off his fantastic voice, but he also proved but he truly one of the nicest people on the planet!


Clevver and James obviously had to talk about the TV show (and group), which James couldn’t BELIEVE concluded four years ago.

“It’s pretty cool to look back at the past four years since Big Time Rush ended,” he told Clevver. “You know, the rate is only increasing. I’m putting so much more music out in a faster rate of time now than I did earlier.”

While JM will obviously always hold the Nick-formed band close to his heart, he acknowledges that it was never his ultimate career goal.

The 27-year-old explained, “It’s a relief to me to finally have my music out. I’ve always made it clear that my end goal was to do my own thing. I was hyped to do the old band, but it was always a stepping stone to me because I didn’t create it. I was frustrated during the years it took me to find my sound and figure out what I want to talk about. But long story short, once I finally figured that stuff out, there was this gigantic excited release.”

Not only did the singer release a new album, How I Like It, back in March, but he also recently became the newest winner of the Macy’s iHeartRadio Rising Star Contest. To fans, he was already a huge star, but this win solidified his celebrity power.


“Winning the Macy’s Rising Star was definitely validating, especially since it is a fan-driven competition,” he explained. “And it was all predicated on my new music, it was so cool to see all my fans stand up and go, “Yup, I dig this.” I am so incredibly grateful for the fans that have been with me through this whole process, but I think I’m most excited about the fans who have no idea who I am. I love a challenge and it’s really cool for people to come and say, ‘Oh I heard he was in a band; is he any good?” and then listen to my new music and go, “Oh yeah that’s pretty dope” and be able to feel like a legit artist.”

As for what’s next? The star is taking it one day at a time and is committed to not letting others dictate his future.

“There was like two years or so where I was working and doing a lot of cool independent films like 48 Hours to Live and we wrote a bunch of music, but I was still trying to figure out where to go. Now, I’m very confident about where I need to go. Music is moving, filming is moving — I fly out to Atlanta tomorrow to start filming a new movie where I am a serial killer. It’s against the type. As an artist, musician and actor I want to do what I want to do, not what everyone else is telling me I should do based on my past.”

Don’t forget to check out James’ new album, How I Like It, out now!

Also, a review of James Maslow's brand-new album, “How I Like It”, via Blasting News:

James Maslow amazing on new album 'How I Like It'

Macy's iHeartRadio 'Rising Star' winner delivers on new solo studio album.


James Maslow, How I Like It official cover art photo; Credit: DPR

James Maslow, who is known from the pop group Big Time Rush, as well as the Nickelodeon show of the same name, has released his new solo album "How I #Like It," independently, and it is a solid studio effort. Last month, Maslow was crowned the 2017 winner of Macy's iHeartRadio "#Rising Star" competition, which affords him the privileged opportunity to open the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas next month, which kicks off on September 23.

In addition to his tenure on the television show and in the boy band Big Times Rush, Maslow competed on the eighteenth season of the reality dancing competition "Dancing with the Stars," where he came in fourth place.

He was partnered with professional dancer Peta Murgatryod.

Songs on the new album

His album opens with the mid-tempo and smooth "So Bad, So Bad," and it is followed by the soothing and hypnotic track "Addicted," as well as the title track "How I Like It," with its infectious hooks.

"Worship" has a flirty and sultry vibe to it, and the proceeds from his moving ballad "Cry" went toward the nonprofit organization "Mission Save Her," an anti sex-trafficking charity, which is a cause that is very dear to Maslow's heart. Vocally, Maslow really tugs at the heartstrings on "Cry."



He picks up the pace with the up-beat "Fairy Tale," which is perhaps the highlight song on the album, due to its fun, electro-pop nature, thus making the song worthy of the repeat button. Equally remarkable is the slow ballad "Who Knows," and the acoustic guitar-driven "You're The One (That Got Away)."

"Breaking" is comprised of killer melodies and velvet vocals by Maslow, and it is followed by "Get You There." The CD closes with the mid-tempo "This House" and with an acoustic version of "Cry," which showcases his rich, dynamic vocals in their purest form.

The verdict
In summation, James Maslow delights on his brand new studio album "How I Like It." It displays his wide range as a contemporary recording artist, and singer-songwriter. All of the 12 songs on here are distinct and well-crafted, and the album is well-produced. He is able to command the listener's attention for its entire duration, and there are no filler tracks. "How I Like It" is a highly diverse studio project that is recommended for all fans of James Maslow's music. They will not be disappointed, and it is worth more than just a passing glance. This 12-track collection garners an A rating.

--Ends--


Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon and Big Time Rush News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.