Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Lily Collins Shares Throwback Photo of When She Worked on Nickelodeon's Kids Pick the President in 2008

Nick News Mini: To celebrate National Voter Registration Day, actor Lily Collins today shared a special throwback photo on Instagram when she was 19 and working on Nickelodeon's Kids Pick the President for the 2008 U.S. election, which also marked the first presidential year that was was eligible to vote!
"It was 2008. I was 19, so it was the first presidential year I was eligible to vote. I was working for Nickelodeon at the time, part of their show called Kids Pick the President. We spoke to people about the vote and how kids could [get] involved. I had done a lot of research, asked a lot of questions. When it came time for Election Day, it was such a big day for me. I can remember everything about it. My mom and I went together. I was wearing a light pair of jeans and a gray long-sleeve sweater.

I have a photo of myself actually placing the ballot in the box. When we left, having the sticker and being like, "Oh my God, I just did it," felt so empowering. I kept my “I Voted” sticker on all day and then stuck it on a piece of paper with the words, "First time voting, 19 years old" on the back. I remember feeling like I had truly been part of history.

That night, I was driving with my mom in the car. I have an image of driving down Sunset Boulevard, staring at Tower Records, which is very LA. At a stoplight, the results were coming in, and we were turning up the volume. I remember Obama being in the lead. It was so joyous. I remember hearing and seeing people honking and celebrating in the streets. History was being made, and we had to make as much noise as possible."

Make sure to register to vote at https://www.vote.org! #NationalVoterRegistrationDay


Sources: E! News, Bustle.

Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon and Kids Pick the President News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.