Monday, July 10, 2017

6 Things You Didn't Know About "Double Dare" Host and Food Network Star Marc Summers

Most people who grew up in the '80s and '90s remembers Marc Summers and the iconic hit Nickelodeon game show, Double Dare, he hosted. Here are some things you might not have known about the popular TV host. A new documentary about Summers' life and career comes out later this year called "On Your Marc," and you can check out Business Insider's full interview with him about his time on Double Dare here on BusinessInsider.com!:



Following is a transcript of the video:

"Answer that question, or take the physical challenge."

Hi there. My name is Marc Summers. You may know me from Double Dare. You may know me from What Would You Do? Perhaps you watch the Food Network and watched me do Unwrapped. But I've been around for awhile.

So here's the thing I didn't know when I started Double Dare, is I had this little thing called obsessive-compulsive disorder. Now mine was about neatness and orderliness, but it was a little bit about staying clean and not getting messy. People say to me all the time, "Well, you must have hated it." I didn't, you know. Think about it. I've been around in LA for about 13 years. It was my first real job on television. So I was happy as hell to have it.

I was actually a disc jockey when I was about 14 or 15 years old. But then I learned magic. Because magic could get you at least as a performer on stage somewhere. So I started off doing birthday parties, and then I did, you know, weddings, bar mitzvahs, dog shows, wakes. You name it, I did it. And my idle at the time was Johnny Carson. Well, I found out that Johnny started off as a magician as well. So I figured, well if I'm going to someday host The Tonight Show, I better do what Johnny did and start magic.

My favorite food of all time is pizza. I could eat pizza 3 times a day, 7 days a week. There's nothing better.

My favorite band? Wow, now that's crazy, that's tough. You know, I'm an old-school guy. My favorite performer’s probably James Taylor. I've seen him a million times. I'm a Jethro Tull guy. Here's one, this weekend I'm going to Vegas to see the Doobie Brothers and Chicago. So, you know, that's the kind of stuff I I kind of love. But then I also love Eminem, so, you know, go figure. I'm all over the place.

Why did I change my name? I moved on LA in 1973, and I was Mark Berkowitz. And I didn't think anything about it. And then I wake up one morning, and the "Son of Sam," David Berkowitz, gets caught. Now, I'm not related. In fact that guy was adopted. He wasn't even a real Berkowitz. And so my agent at the time said, "You gotta change your name." Okay, um, what do you do? How do you change your name?

Growing up in Indiana, there was a DJ. Who’s still around, and his name is Dick Summer. And when I moved to Boston to go to college, he was on WKOX in Boston and I always loved Dick Summer, so I stole his name, put an S on the end, and became Marc Summers. and I started to work.

If I could host one show right now what it would be? You know, years and years ago, I always thought about doing late night television. But I've realized throughout the years that I'm not a late night TV guy. What interests me the most is morning TV. So doing the Today show, and hosting something like that would be fantastic.

Unfortunately, they don't hire old guys like me to do that anymore. But could I do it? No question.

"Thanks for being with us. We had a good time. He’s fine. I’m fine. See you again soon. Bye bye!"

--Ends--

Also: Here's what 'Double Dare' host Marc Summers is up to today | Tech Insider:



Marc Summers hosted Nickelodeon's "Double Dare" for about a decade. The popular kid's trivia show included bizarre — and often messy — physical challenges as well as an elaborate obstacle course. Summers recently performed a one-man stage show about his life that has been turned into a documentary called "On Your Marc," which will premiere this fall at Alamo Drafthouses around the country. We spoke with him about his OCD, what it was like working on "Double Dare," and what people can expect in the new film.

More Nick: Marc Summers Reveals The Ingredients Of "Double Dare"-Style Nickelodeon Slime!

More Nick: Mill Creek Entertainment To Release 90s Nickelodeon Series "The Secret World Of Alex Mack" In Its Entirety On DVD On 8/1!

Watch all your '90s Nickelodeon favorites on NickSplat, your late-night destination for your favorite childhood Nickelodeon cartoons and live-action shows! NickSplat doesn't question football-shaped heads, but embrace them - along with Reptar bars, a Big Ear of Corn, orange soda, and even slime for Pete (and Pete's) sake. Make your slime-covered Nickelodeon childhood dreams come true every night at 10pm ET/PT, only on TeenNick USA! #NickSplat!

More NickSplat: Cardcaptors | Intro with Lyrics | #NickSplat | #TBT | Nickelodeon UK!
Follow NickALive! on Twitter, Tumblr, Google+, via RSS, on Instagram, and/or Facebook for the latest Nickelodeon and NickSplat News and Highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say by leaving a comment below! NickALive! welcomes friendly and respectful comments. Please familiarize with the blog's Comment Policy before commenting. All new comments are moderated and won't appear straight away.